Sixty-one Vicksburg Street is a mix of Queen Anne and Classical Revival styles. The beautiful exterior details include Ionic and stylized Corinthian capitals and interesting carved porch spandrels. The water was turned on October 22, 1898, dating its construction to that year. The first owner of the house was Charles Ruling, a shipbuilder by trade. He was born May 21, 1865 of German parents and immigrated to the United States in 1870. Charles Ruling married Annie Krause, who was born August 15, 1875 in California. They had four children, three of whom survived childhood: Charles R., born in 1894; Albert Henry, born in 1895; and Beatrice E., born in 1897. By October 1907, the Ruling family had moved to Seventh Avenue.
After the Rulings left the house, nothing is known about the occupants until the Burns, a large Irish family, who resided there from 1963 to 1982. They had eight children and were responsible for adding the garage, which extended to the backyard. From 1982 to 1984 the house was owned by the Follets, a couple who gutted the entire house, created a third floor attic, restored the outside woodwork and paint, and converted the house into a very livable residence. In 1984 Reed McCurry purchased the house but made few changes.